A. The version of Microsoft IIS that ships with Windows 2003 contains a service that you can use to deliver mail using SMTP. To install this SMTP service, perform the following steps:
- Start the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet.
- Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- After the Windows Components Wizard appears, select Applications Server and click Details.
- Select Internet Information Services (IIS), then click Details.
- Select SMTP Service, then click OK.
- Continue to click OK to close all other dialog boxes until you're back at the Windows Components Wizard page, then click Next.
Windows 2003 will copy the files required for the SMTP service (you might be prompted to insert the installation CD-ROM) and configure the service. You can also install the SMTP service through the E-mail Services tool, which is a POP3 component that automatically installs SMTP. Windows 2003 configures the SMTP service to use a default server, and you can use the IIS Manager to modify the server settings.